CYBER SECURITY ISSUES AND TIPS FOR COMPUTER SYSTEMS:
Physical computer security is the basic and most essential aspect of cyber security; it contains the security of the computer system in a tangible manner i.e. through virtual controls such as software protection and encryption etc. We are advising some of the basic and most essential physical computer security measures which can be adopted and followed to have a safe and secure system.
1. Check the computer for any physical plug-ins such as pen drives, key loggers etc attached to the system to gain your information by mischief. Such instruments are visible on the system if watched carefully. This must be carefully followed while using any common or public computer system like internet cafe, office systems etc.
2. Never leave your smartphones, computers, laptops, notebooks containing personal information unattended and unsecured for a while at any public place.
3. It is always safe to keep your external devices such as pen drive, external hard disk, USB sticks etc locked through some password on the connection. It may be a bit uneasy to operate but always safe especially in case you lose it, all your private date is protected.
4. Whenever your hard disk or memory is dead and not usable, be sure to dispose of them in a secured way, the best way is to destroy them physically by breaking as it rules out the chance of any data retrieval.
5. Always keep your WiFi in off mode when not in use, you can adjust the settings accordingly.
6. Beware that most of the device can be used to record audio and/or video, including smartphones, watches, and buttons.
9. Put off the internet cable, hub when you are not working on the same. This will prevent a Wake on LAN attack.
10. Use secure wiping functionality (Disk Utility) or tools to erase drives/devices before giving or selling them.
1. Use encryption software to encrypt your information.
2. Make sure that only you know the encryption password.
3. Do not write the encryption password down.
4. Always change the password once it is shared with anyone.
1. Use an anti-virus on your computer. If you cannot pay one get one for free. You can use the Microsoft security essentials to protect your computer.
2. Update your antivirus. Your antivirus uses a database with signatures. This database needs to get updated so it can recognize new threats.
3. Run your antivirus on a regular basis.
One thought on “Cyber security issues series-4”
Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming.
Comments are closed.